Monday, April 24, 2023

Think and Speak, not See and Say

https://www.orwellfoundation.com/the-orwell-foundation/orwell/essays-and-other-works/politics-and-the-english-language/

"...not really thinking."

This is me. I'm surprised to admit it. I think I'm trying to avoid offending anyone.

Perhaps this is why I became upset with Victor. He arrived defensive and nothing I said seemed to alter his approach. When I finally told him I would bring the matter up with the board of contractors (I still think I need to write the letter even if I don't mail it, or mail it to the roofing company), I was upset and exasperated.

He showed me the core sample and I measured the inch for myself. My idea was wrong. I was also wrong about how much foam was still on the roof. I softened. He offered to fill in the depressions. I agreed. We filled the hole from the core sample and "leveled" the other two areas to the slope of the roof. That's all I wanted in the first place and could have done it myself. The fact that these were showing up with an inch of foam over them made me doubt the thickness of that inch. I was wrong.

I know spray foam is intensely difficult to apply and perhaps these divots happen frequently. I just wanted the roof to be relatively smooth in slope with no place for puddles. The 48-hour standing water rule was of no interest to me. 

We parted in what I hope was a feeling of my gratitude and delivering our second half of the payment. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home