Sunday, January 22, 2012

2004 Indian Ocean earthquake

I was in Indonesia during 'Visit Indonesia Year - 1991.'  During that time, I visited Banda Aceh and the island on which is the city of Sabang.  I swam with the tropical fish in one of the beautiful lagoons.  Snorkeling there felt like I was flying as the ocean floor dropped away from me and the salt water buoyed me up.  On the way back to the mainland, our twin engine motorboat was a bit heavy in the stern, so the owner asked me and my friend to sit on the bow to balance the weight.  As we bounced across the waves, I could see there was a storm brewing to the right of our destination.  The dark clouds were causing concern and that's why we were coming back faster than when we had gone.  As I prayed for peace, I had no idea this would be the same direction from which the tsunami would come 13 years later.


Wikipedia link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home